- Key changes reflecting the new science from the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Adult CPR and AED use
- Optional modules in child CPR and AED use and infant CPR, including child and infant choking
- Optional written test
- 5 hours of instruction time
- Video-based course ensures consistency
- Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- Course is updated with the new science
Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR AED Course Completion Card that is valid for two years.
This course includes the Heartsaver CPR AED Student Workbook with Adult and Child/Infant Reminder Cards.
Heartsaver® CPR AED Training
Heartsaver® CPR AED is a classroom, video-based, instructor-led course that teaches adult CPR and AED use, as well as how to relieve choking on an adult. This course teaches skills with AHA’s research-proven Practice-While-Watching (PWW) technique, which allows instructors to observe the students, provide feedback and guide the students’ learning of skills.
The Heartsaver CPR AED course trains participants to give CPR, and use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner. This course reflects science and education from the American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC).
Who should take this course?
The AHA Heartsaver CPR AED Course is designed for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in CPR and AED use to meet job, regulatory, or other requirements.
What does this course teach?
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child*
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child*
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant*
- Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant*
*Child and infant modules are optional.